Tickers discussed: SPY QQQ IWM Strategy Review
The Daily Profit Compass provides the stock market analysis for the day. Key levels and trading locations for the indexes are provided, along with trading plans and timely commentary to keep you on the right side of the trade.
Over time most people fall into routines that include non-productive, even counter-productive activities or associations. Periodically make a clear-eyed assessment of your activities and associations that provide no positive expectations for you. That may mean upgrading your friends. That may mean switching one activity out for a new one. The sense of making progress is important in one’s life. I think you will feel it in your gut when you come to the realization that the path you’re on is a dead end alley. If / when you get that feeling, change course.
A brief look at the technical levels for SPY, QQQ, and IWM.
If you want added detail on the indexes, FATMAAN names, along with gold / siver and other market movers, please watch last night’s Market on Close Video. HERE
- Trump slams door on covid negotiations be fore re-opening it with a tweet storm
- VP debate scheduled for tonight
- Futures get slight lift from Trump tweets; lets see if it lasts.
- House Subcommittee releases study that find AAPL / AMZN / GOOGL / FB have monopolistic powers.
- Fed Minutes released today
USD positioning remains a crowded short
2020 has been a world -record year for both HY and IG bond issuance
Asian Hotel bookings roll over
German industrial output disappoints
Is an Inverse Head & Shoulders forming?
More speculation than anything else at this point, but 2/3 of the structure is built. A move to tag $330 or even a gap fill to $329 then a reversal and the possibilities increase.
SPY 2 Hour
On the shorter time frame, I’ve labelled the 50ema off the daily chart. That will be a big level to hold for bulls. A break below $332 would put price in the unfilled gap and favor a move to $229.
QQQ 2 Hour
The daily 50ema comes in at $272. That aligns perfectly with a fill of the lower unfilled gap that begins at $274. At that point $272 would need to hold on price would have an open path to $268. For bulls, recapturing $277 would be a positive first step. Otherwise, anything short of a breakout ( and hold ) above $280 keeps price within the wide choppy trading range we’ve been in for weeks.
QQQ 30 min
IWM 2 hour
It’s not marked, but the daily 50ema comes in at $150. It will be interesting to see if IWM can hold up. Much of the recent rise hinged on stimulus and back to normal trade that included a rising rate environment. Key off of $155. A break below would open the door for a run to $150. Holding $155 keeps price at the upper end of the range
Pulling it all together – Strategy and Outlook
- SPY and QQQ in wide trading ranges.
- QQQ has a range between $260 – $280. Within the range is choppy, volatile action with a lot of headline whipsaws.
- SPY is in a range roughly $320 – $340. Choppy action within the range.
- What you’d want to see on a range break is that SPY / QQQ each other’s move. For instance, last week QQQ broke above $280 but SPY was no where close to its breakout. Then QQQ dropped back into the range showing the breakout was false.
- Since the width of both trading ranges is roughly $20., the expected move on a break from the range is $20. Traders can mark the levels on the charts for added reference points.
- The Lead in to Earnings Season is usually bullish
- The kickoff to the next round of earnings is about 2-3 weeks out.
- The run up to earnings is usually bullish.
- We can look to take advantage with either broad market net long exposure and / or individual names that may run toward their date.
- As is our normal plan, exit any stock prior to its earnings release to avoid getting wiped out on a negative surprise.
- If you want to “play earnings” a much better way to do it is via an ETF. For instance, you could use KRE Regional Bank ETF to gain exposure over the whole bank earnings season. If you were bullish get calls, and if you were bearish buy puts. THe ETF should accurately reflect the earnings season as a whole.
- Watch FATMAAN names
- Last week the market leading names were weak as traders appeared to use them as a source of funds for rotation into cyclical names.
- Because of their sheer market cap, the direction of these names will shape the direction of the major indexes.
- Final Thoughts
- While inside these trading ranges, expect volatile, headline driven trading.
- Watch IWM / cyclicals / industrials / restaurants / cruise lines / travel and hotel companies for follow through on last week’s early rotation into “back-to-normal” trade.
Get inspired, empowered and prepared.
As the host of Trader’s Profit Compass, I work hard to inspire, empower, and prepare aspiring traders to face the markets with fortitude, quiet confidence and inner calm. It’s a protein-rich, sugar free environment without ego or judgement. While I can’t promise that joining our group will change your life, I’d like to think it will help your trading. Give it a spin! Nothing to lose and potentially much to gain.
Our group of aspiring traders are into active swing trading using technical analysis to find objective, high-probability, low-risk trades. Using these processes we’ve been fortunate to be winning; not perfect but winning. If that is appealing to you, join us! I’d like to think you’d benefit from the work. You’ll get premium content 6 times a week including a copy of my Daily Profit Compass, Weekend Profit Navigator,along with other actionable content delivered directly to your mailbox. You’ll even get an invite to our new trading room on SLACK.
Registration is simple and FREE Visit our homepage HERE