Tickers discussed: SPY QQQ IWM CHEF Strategy & Tactics
The Daily Profit Compass provides the stock market analysis for the day. Key levels and trading locations for the indexes are provided, along with trading plans and timely commentary to keep you on the right side of the trade.
Trader’s Couch – Will Return
On the earnings front, the focus turns to retail as HD / LOW / KSS / TGT / WMT / URBN / AAP / ROST report. In tech land, BIDU / BABA / PANW / SPLK / ADI / INTU also report.
- Futures soggy as US – China tensions weigh; The latest: Senate Bill requires US-listed Chinese companies must comply with US audits or face de-listing
- AMZN enters big-budget gaming with release of “Crucible”
- AstraZeneca gets $1B from US to make Oxford vaccine
- $ACB enters US market via acquisition
- Intel buys Rivet Networks and their Killer-branded network cards
- Brazil virus toll worsens; Bolsonaro pushed
Energy continues to be a standout; financials firming
$NYMO at 33 and $NAMO at 35. Both oscillators in the middle of their range.
Extreme Call buying persists
They keep coming after calls in a big way. Time will tell if Mr. Market decides to not let these guys get paid.
Companies Gorge on Debt
Wave 2 DATA
5/21 Jobless claims / Flash PMI numbers / Philly Fed Survey / Existing Home sales / NatGas inventories / Powell speaks at 2.30
China Tensions Mount
US- China relations continue to simmer. Yesterday a Senate Bill pass that requires US-traded Chinese securities face tighter accounting scrutiny or face de-listing. Nothing draconian mind you, simply asking Chinese companies to get more inline with US company regulations. Still it is perceived as tightening the screws. In the meantime the Huawei drama rolls on as does the rhetoric focused on China’s virus response. This backdrop will likely continue to percolate in the background as election season moves closer. Chinese ADR’s will likely see elevated vol as they come in and out of view of regulators and politicians.
Strategy and Tactics
- The indexes have backed off from yesterdays close. Not a lot, but close enough to the lower gaps to be a bit concerning.
- We’ve had a good run lately but right now I think it’s time to manage what we’ve got versus piling on.
- Let’s see how today goes. If we elevate and move away from those big gaps below we can decide if more long exposure seems prudent. Otherwise we may be looking at a situation of reducing exposure if price makes a down move into these big gaps. For perspective, the gap below on SPY is $9.50. That’s a helluva gap.. The gap below IWM is $7 +. We’ve seen the market turn on a dime. Let’s sit tight and see how price behaves today.
- Keep long exposure at moderate levels and maintain tight stops. If you guess right and get a power move in your favor, make sure you get paid. I don’t view this environment as one where’d you simply camp out for weeks. It wouldn’t take long to find the low side of the recent trading range.
FAAMG Update & Trading Guidance
FAAMG under performed yesterday as traders preferred cyclicals and other beaten down names / sectors. Q’s will stall or go down if FAAMG stalls.
- $FB – Huge win if you got long against $215 on the breakout. Manage risk for here on out. Prior ATH was $222.50 on weekly closing basis. Nice location for reference
- $AAPL – Needs $320 for higher. Price trading 319. If you are out wait for either a breakout over $320 or a pull back to 302.5 / 300.
- $AMZN – Price cleared $2450 and is trading $2500; target $2625. Yesterday at the open was the perfect location to get long.
- $MSFT – Consolidating just below resistance. A pop to $187 opens the door to higher prices.
- $GOOGL – Price at the doorstep of a breakout. A move above $1412-$1415 triggers a long entry w/ a stop below. A $40 wide gap starts at $1440.
Charts in Focus
Price is making a nice ascending triangle pressing against the declining 50ema at $15.36. If price can pop $15.50 it will have good technical support below and a huge amount of potential upside as price moves into a massive price void. I would not expect an explosive move although its possible. I’d expect more of a steady grind toward an eventual test of the 200ema. I’d advise buying some extra time one the set up triggers and let it grind away in the background.
Index Chart Review
SPY 2 hr
SPY 30 min.
QQQ 2 hr
QQQ 30 min
IWM 2 hr
IWM 30 min
Get inspired, empowered and prepared. Join us!
As the host of Trader’s Profit Compass, I work hard to inspire, empower, and prepare aspiring traders to face the markets with fortitude, quiet confidence and inner calm. It’s a protein-rich, sugar free environment without ego or judgement. While I can’t promise that joining our group will change your life, I’d like to think it will help your trading. Give it a spin! Nothing to lose and potentially much to gain.
Our group of aspiring traders are into active swing trading using technical analysis to find objective, high-probability, low-risk trades. Using these processes we’ve been fortunate to be winning; not perfect but winning. If that is appealing to you, join us! I’d like to think you’d benefit from the work. You’ll get premium content 6 times a week including a copy of my Daily Profit Compass, Weekend Profit Navigator,along with other actionable content delivered directly to your mailbox. You’ll even get an invite to our new trading room on SLACK.
Registration is simple and FREE Visit our homepage HERE