Tickers discussed: SPY QQQ IWM FB AAPL AMZN MSFT GOOGL FAAMG Strategy & Tactics
The Daily Profit Compass provides the stock market analysis for the day. Key levels and trading locations for the indexes are provided, along with trading plans and timely commentary to keep you on the right side of the trade.
Trader’s Couch – About Ayn Rand
Ayn Rand was a 20th century Author that wrote “The Fountainhead” and “Atlas Shrugged“. Having seen the Bolshevik revolution in Russia first hand and how the emerging Soviet Union confiscated her Dad’s family pharmacy, her writings deal with what happens when the government starts controlling everything. About how near monopolies are formed by the help of government crony capitalism. About how the welfare state kills incentives to be productive and creative. She warns about and predicts what happens to societies that go down that path. To me it’s fascinating.
Last night I ran across a Mike Wallace interview of Ayn Rand from 1959. Like Jesse Livermore’s books, its eery to listen to an interview done 60 years ago and have the content seem like it was done yesterday. Rather than try to explain it, let Ayn Rand do it in her own words. You’ll have to excuse the fact the interview was conducted in a cloud of Mike Wallace’s cigarette smoke. Find the 27 min Mike Wallace interview of Ayn Rand HERE
If your interest was piqued by the interview, you can learn more by listening to this 1 hour interview of Yaron Brook, President of the Ayn Rand Institute. Find it HERE
Run up to earnings season
We’ve got about a month before earnings season gets into swing. This run – up period is typically bullish both for individual stocks and the market as a whole. We need to be aware and look for bull triggers on our index charts. This would present itself as price reclaiming levels from below. If we see that, it would be evidence that the baby downdraft and choppiness was just consolidation within and ongoing uptrend. If we however see a lower low print ( prior swing low taken out ) then we must conclude that more corrective activity is underway.
Sector Snap Shot
- Powell and Mnuchin head to Capitol Hill to provide a status update on the recovery 12.30pm
- Re-openings continue to be scaled back
- China approves new HK security bill
- $USD strength re-emerges.
- UBER said to be interested in buying delivery service Postmates
- NOTE: Holiday Shortened Trading Week. Markets closed Friday. Be aware of non-standard weekly expirations that will be on Thursday.
Market Review – Conflict Resolution
The bulls and bears continue to thrash about with neither making much progress. When ever the bears knock it down, the dipsters are there to kill any hopes of downside follow through. Likewise, bulls have made no progress either since 2 weeks ago when the bears printed a massive red bar. The only choice here is go level to level as the trend goes flat.
Strategy and Tactics –
- Bears emerging but lots of work to do.
- Planning on feeding you some bear set ups to monitor so we are ready if they trigger.
- Watch financials and FAAMG; See if FB troubles migrate toward other big cap tech names.
- Expect daily vol to continue with headline whipsaws and with VIX elevated at 35.
- Eye’s wide open though trying to keep open and flexible to new data and inputs.
- Expecting a hi-vol summer with Covid and political headlines whipsawing markets
- Want to take care on establishing positions with duration.
- I realize its difficult, but don’t lock it on an idea or thesis. Stay open and flexible in your thinking. Let price be our guide. Stay mentally flexible here.
FB – 221.71 is your daily pivot. a break back above is a place you could buy w/ a tight stop. Price below 221.71 keeps chart bearish.
AAPL a close below 350 would trigger a sell signal based on a trend break ; stretched from ema’s
AMZN printing divergent highs but no sell signals. Price $250 from the 50ema
MSFT printing divergent highs. A break back below 195 would likely bring in sellers, but currently no sell signals.
GOOGL – stay long against $1360; a break below sets up a 200ema test at 1320
Index Chart Review
SPY 2 hour
SPY 30 min
QQQ 2 hour
QQQ 30 min
IWM 2 hour
As the host of Trader’s Profit Compass, I work hard to inspire, empower, and prepare aspiring traders to face the markets with fortitude, quiet confidence and inner calm. It’s a protein-rich, sugar free environment without ego or judgement. While I can’t promise that joining our group will change your life, I’d like to think it will help your trading. Give it a spin! Nothing to lose and potentially much to gain.
Our group of aspiring traders are into active swing trading using technical analysis to find objective, high-probability, low-risk trades. Using these processes we’ve been fortunate to be winning; not perfect but winning. If that is appealing to you, join us! I’d like to think you’d benefit from the work. You’ll get premium content 6 times a week including a copy of my Daily Profit Compass, Weekend Profit Navigator,along with other actionable content delivered directly to your mailbox. You’ll even get an invite to our new trading room on SLACK.
Registration is simple and FREE Visit our homepage HERE