Tickers discussed: SPY QQQ IWM Gold Oil ATVI Strategy & Tactics
The Daily Profit Compass provides the stock market analysis for the day. Key levels and trading locations for the indexes are provided, along with trading plans and timely commentary to keep you on the right side of the trade.
Trader’s Couch – Will return
Sector Snap Shot
No place to hide; especially in cyclical sectors.
- Futures pare 1% overnight sell off but still slightly red
- Covid rages as policy makers implement mask requirements and select quarantines.
- Bank stress test reveal today but with no specific names. How come Jay? What are you hiding?
- $DIS indefinitely delays Disneyland re-opening.
- AAPL closes more stores in Covid hotspot areas
- Wirecard files for insolvency. Add it to the ENRON, Worldcom, and Madoff fraud lists where it all happened in broad daylight helped by ineptitude / complicitness of regulators. Expect more revelations if recession deepens. Boom times are fraudsters best friend; Recessions are hated enemies
- $100B in PPP loans go unclaimed
Risk – Off Rooster Returns
At least recently, when the risk-off rooster returns, he gets roasted and eaten for dinner. Will it be different this time or just another dip to buy in a series of dips to buy? My outlook is for lower prizes but not a time to go gonzo short. On SPY we have the 200ema coming in at $294, which coincidentally, is the measured move target from bear flag move from yesterday. And FYI the 50ema is 298.50. So the bears have work to do. If / when we lose the 200ema would be a time to lean in a little harder on the bear side. Until then we gotta respect these bulls who just won’t quit. If a 5% sell off 2 weeks ago did not scare anybody, hard to think a 2.5% sell off would.
Strategy and Tactics –
- Bears emerging but lots of work to do.
- We flopped on FB, but SEAS / SIX / RCL / SBUX / USO / XOP / KRE emerging as nice winners as money flees the great re-open cyclical names.
- Expect daily vol to continue with headline whipsaws and with VIX elevated at 35.
- Eye’s wide open though trying to keep open and flexible to new data and inputs.
- Expecting a hi-vol summer with Covid and political headlines whipsawing markets
- Want to take care on establishing positions with duration. Certainly dont want to load up bullish or bearish positions. Like I said, feels like a dart throw while we are in chop zone.
- FAAMG – The market wont truly crack until these do. Period
- I realize its difficult, but don’t lock it on an idea or thesis. Stay open and flexible in your thinking. Let price be our guide. Stay mentally flexible here.
I will do a chart update on a separate post today
Ditto – look for a sector update today. For the meantime, here are some breakdown levels for the key sectors.
$XLK – $101.80 ( AAPL / MSFT 40% of index ) $XLV – 96.75 $XLF – $23.06 $XLY – $123. Amazon = 25% of index $XLC – $54.25 ( FB / GOOGL 40% of index )
Key off these levels. Charts to come.
Charts in Focus
/GC – Gold Futures Hourly
Price put in a divergent high and dropped below a rising wedge. Prefer price to hold in but technically could fall further. A move back above $1780 will get it back on track and above $1790 would be a break out. I am long GDX Jul 34 Calls and am slightly positive on the position. Monitoring closely.
$USO 60 min – Oil
Chart has been posted a couple of times in recent days. An absolute gravy train for those who got short and a few in the trading room did. . Down 7% yesterday at one point. Now price is sitting on a ledge of support near $27. A break below targets the levels shown. For reference, here are my levels off /CL futures. 37.62 / 36.87 / $36.20 / $35. THese wont correspond exactly w/ USO but will be close. I expect price to find T3 over time but w/ baby bounces along the way. If you don’t want to trade oil directly, $XOP is a good proxy
$ATVI – Activision
We’re long July 75 calls and down a little since we entered, yet price still holding its 8ema and key lateral support. Hard to get too bearish at this point but with options if price isnt moving your direction time decay will begin to hurt. Watching closely.
Index Chart Review
Will the bulls step in here or do we have further to slide? The downside triggers are pretty close for a continuation lower so bulls don’t have a ton of wiggle room today.
SPY 2 hour
SPY 30 min
QQQ 2 hour
QQQ 30 min
IWM 2 hour
Get inspired, empowered and prepared. Join us!
As the host of Trader’s Profit Compass, I work hard to inspire, empower, and prepare aspiring traders to face the markets with fortitude, quiet confidence and inner calm. It’s a protein-rich, sugar free environment without ego or judgement. While I can’t promise that joining our group will change your life, I’d like to think it will help your trading. Give it a spin! Nothing to lose and potentially much to gain.
Our group of aspiring traders are into active swing trading using technical analysis to find objective, high-probability, low-risk trades. Using these processes we’ve been fortunate to be winning; not perfect but winning. If that is appealing to you, join us! I’d like to think you’d benefit from the work. You’ll get premium content 6 times a week including a copy of my Daily Profit Compass, Weekend Profit Navigator,along with other actionable content delivered directly to your mailbox. You’ll even get an invite to our new trading room on SLACK.
Registration is simple and FREE Visit our homepage HERE