Tickers discussed: SPY QQQ IWM FB AAPL AMZN MSFT GOOGL FAAMG Strategy & Tactics
The Daily Profit Compass provides the stock market analysis for the day. Key levels and trading locations for the indexes are provided, along with trading plans and timely commentary to keep you on the right side of the trade.
Know who you need to become
“The successful trader that you want to become is a future “projection” of yourself for you to grow into” Mark Douglas, Trading in the Zone
Our mentorship workshops kick off tomorrow and I am stoked to get started working with the team. One of the things that we’ll be working on is defining the “projection” that Douglas refers to. You have to be able to hold in your mind’s eye the trader you want to become. Once your “future trader projection” is formed, then the task becomes breaking down all the necessary elements that it will take for the trader to grow into that vision. The idea that “thoughts are things” is real. If you can’t imagine it, there’s no way to achieve it. Nicklaus always “ran the movie” before every golf shot. Imagining the flight of the ball; imagining it landing in the perfect spot. Likewise, each trader needs to run the movie of the trader they want to become. Once done, its all about execution.
SPY July Seasonality is Bullish
An 8 year seasonality study shows that July has been historically bullish. Looking ahead to August, not so much.
Sector Snap Shot
- USMCA trade deal does into effect amid the deep recession.
- Dr. Fauci offers dire warning that Covid infections could soon reach 100,000 a day.
- Founded in 1962, NPC which operates 1225 Pizza Hut and 385 Wendy’s franchises files for bankruptcy.
- Trump pledges to veto the defense bill to keep Confederate base names
- China wastes little time implementing its new “Sword of Damocles” HK security law. 7 protesters arrested
- Gold continues to flirt with $1800; highest since 2011
- Airbus cutting 15,000 jobs
- NOTE: Holiday Shortened Trading Week. Markets closed Friday. Be aware of non-standard weekly expiration that will be on Thursday.
Gold is entering a historically bullish couple of months in July and August. In the study below I looked at 10 years.
Gold Miner Seasonality
Similarly, gold miners have done well in July and August.
So, we kickoff Q3 today. The forward visibility remains foggy as re-openings stall and the lack of clarity on policy are front and center. Seasonality suggests July is a good month for equities but I’d expect markets will get jittery if it looks like the PPP program and extra Covid unemployment benefits roll off without an extension. We’ve got to push the headlines and the laundry list of worries off to the side and focus on the price action. Figuring out the macro landscape is an impossible task. The precious metals look strong and they too have great seasonality in July and August. We are on board early. Hopefully Gold can put $1800 in the rearview mirror and we get a little FOMO burst as others see the move forming.
Strategy and Tactics –
- Very choppy action dictated by headlines.
- Big Payrolls report on Thursday. Risk taking may take a backseat while waiting for that payroll report.
- Expect daily vol to continue with headline whipsaws and with VIX elevated at 35.
- Eye’s wide open though trying to keep open and flexible to new data and inputs.
- Expecting a hi-vol summer with Covid and political headlines whipsawing markets
- Want to take care on establishing positions with duration.
- I realize its difficult, but don’t lock it on an idea or thesis. Stay open and flexible in your thinking. Let price be our guide. Stay mentally flexible here.
FAAMG Live Annotated Charts
Click on the Links to view my annotated live chart
Index Chart Review
SPY 2 hour
SPY 30 min
QQQ 2 hour
QQQ 30 min
IWM 2 hour
As the host of Trader’s Profit Compass, I work hard to inspire, empower, and prepare aspiring traders to face the markets with fortitude, quiet confidence and inner calm. It’s a protein-rich, sugar free environment without ego or judgement. While I can’t promise that joining our group will change your life, I’d like to think it will help your trading. Give it a spin! Nothing to lose and potentially much to gain.
Our group of aspiring traders are into active swing trading using technical analysis to find objective, high-probability, low-risk trades. Using these processes we’ve been fortunate to be winning; not perfect but winning. If that is appealing to you, join us! I’d like to think you’d benefit from the work. You’ll get premium content 6 times a week including a copy of my Daily Profit Compass, Weekend Profit Navigator,along with other actionable content delivered directly to your mailbox. You’ll even get an invite to our new trading room on SLACK.
Registration is simple and FREE Visit our homepage HERE