Tickers discussed: SPY QQQ IWM GLD TLT DXY FB, AAPL, AMZN, MSFT, GOOGL FAAMG Update Strategy & Tactics
The Daily Profit Compass provides the stock market analysis for the day. Key levels and trading locations for the indexes are provided, along with trading plans and timely commentary to keep you on the right side of the trade.
The Journey is all there is
One of collective conclusions within our mentorship groups is that if you learn to live more simply, it takes a lot of psychological pressure off your trading. In the Market Wizards book stories are told about wildly successful traders driving around in rust buckets, not Ferrari’s. Why? 1. Low overhead takes the pressure off. 2. Most experienced traders have had near death trading experiences and have seen friend wiped out. Whenever you see a “successful trader” showboating with material things to demonstrate their success, you can almost be 100% assured that it is fake. Successful traders most often accept the success with humility and grace. They know, and have seen, how fleeting that success can be.
A 15 minute detailed look at the indexes covering the 30 min time frame on SPY, QQQ, IWM; Trade management on $FDX; A set up on OLLI.
Massive week for earnings headlined by FB / AAPL / AMZN / GOOGL at the back end of the week. Other noteables: SHOP / MCD / TDOC / UPS / XOM / CVX
- German GDP drops 10% but will likely look minuscule compared to US figures reported later today. Consensus is for a 35% contraction
- Traders, investors, and politicians brace for new jobless claims print at 8.30am.
- FOMC signals low rates forever lifts markets ( But the first move is always fake )
- Clueless, grandstanding politicians mostly fail to make tech CEO’s sweat.
- Brazil reports 70K new covid cases in worst day EVER. Australia surging case load during winter down under does not bode well for US outlook
- $5T in market cap with AMZN, AAPL, FB, and GOOGL report after the bell.
- Phase 4 Covid relief bill stuck in the mud as politicians with different objectives and beliefs wrangle
Gold extended with divergent highs
Gold has become a consensus long and the $USD a consensus short and the boat is loaded in both directions. A break below the rising wedge on $GLD opens the possibility of a quick pull back. The “swiss cheese” chart with a ton of open gaps has weak technical structure. Any move higher in the $USD to squeeze out the shorts will be rocket fuel to a downside move in gold. This is a tactical set up. Gold is in a structural bull market. Time frame is everything. If you are sitting long in GLD / GDX / individual miners. Make make sure your plan includes getting paid. Maybe want to sell some upside calls while gold vol is high. Watch the wedge.
DXY / Gold Jaws open
$TLT Near Moonshot mode.
10 yr yields are making a move to test the lows driving bond prices to push toward a breakout. Taking out this high could spark a runner to the upside.
Yields lower, financials higher and that ain’t right. Somebody is wrong. Watch XLF for a TL break.
FOMC Fake move?
THe FOMC move from yesterday, at least for now looks fake with much of yesterday’s gains wiped out. THat said, tons of macro catalysts can take market right up to yesterday’s close with a simple gap fill. The key levels and game plan remain exactly the same as yesterday with price almost exactly at tuesday night’s close. Stay fluid and flexible in thinking and positioning. Those that followed the game plan and the levels yesterday did really well. Follow it again today.
Watch your over night risk. Big cap tech earnings have fire power to wipe out positions. My advice is to step aside and pick up the ball after the dust settles and the insitutions have had a chance to weigh in. Discretion is often the better part of valor.
Strategy & Tactics
Cautious ahead of Big Cap Tech earnings
Benefit of doubt remains with Bulls.
- FOMC – Was the first move fake? The Fut’s make it look that way.
- GDP print and initial jobless claims can move the needle
- Will holders of big cap tech get cold feet or hang tough into the print?
- Watch the FAAMGs.
- Earnings on Thursday looms. AAPL / GOOGL / AMZN / FB all report after the bell.
- Bears still have to prove it. Bears have had so many chances and have done nothing. Make bears prove they can take, then maintain, control.
- Be cautious on overnight exposure on Thursday.
- Risk off Assets flashing a bright yellow light.
- GOLD / BONDs and / USDJPY currency pair are flashing a problem. Eyes wide open. No impact yesterday.
- Gold a crowded long; $USD a crowded short. A toxic sentiment mix primed for a reversal.
- Staying bullish does not mean complacent
- Stay vigilant! Ratchet stops / Strikes higher on your winners and keep exposure at manageable levels.
- Dont be afraid to go short if you get a price signal; especially if you’re holding a bunch of longs. You’ll like that balance on red days.
- Mark clear levels on your holdings for exits; honor those levels on a pull back.
- You know they can pull the rug at any time for no reason at all.
- Stay Fluid and flexible in both positions and thinking; Dont lock in on Narratives.
- Expecting a hi-vol summer with Covid and political headlines whipsawing markets
FAAMG Live Annotated Charts
Annotations updated THursday Jul 29.
Click on the Links to view my annotated live charts
Active Trade set ups / Positions
Bold Text signals meaningful technical changes and / or potential change in an active position.
$AMD – Big pop on earnings beat; if you are long, at a bare minimum raise stops and strikes.
JMIA – Sold Aug 12 calls against my Aug 9 C position; will be out before Aug 12 earnings.
$NEE – Holding $280 after earnings; watching for re-entry as earnings have now cleared.
$DLTR – New Name. Alarm $100 for a potential gap fill $12 higher.
$COST: Emerging above its bull flag after breaking out. Looking for higher
$YETI – Holding above the breakout. Bought the Aug 45 Calls, looking for a pre-earnings run. up 2.5% yesterday and moving higher. Closing position ahead of earnings on Aug 6 no matter what.
$PZZA – Make sure you get paid on this. Price has stalled and has met our technical target. Roll higher and protect / raise stops / close. Earnings date not posted yet.
$FDX – BIG Pop following positive UPS earnings warrants rolling and protecting. Trading $177 in the premarket.
$GDX – PM complex near peak FOMO and parabolic charts are due for a pause. Keep rolling and protecting your positions.
$NFLX – Bracket trade busted as price returned to inside the bracket; the immediate set up was foiled.
$CHEF – Testing key support at $12 but with earnings days away, letting that pass before stepping in. $12 alarmed for a downside break
$DDS – new name off the radar flyer. Like it long against 22.50; but short against $22.50 on a break below. Decide how you want to play. No position yet here.
$FIZZ – Roll and protect if long; very defensive name but i’d make sure getting paid is part of your plan.
$OLLI – Bracket trade set up. Alarm $110 for potential breakout to fresh ATH’s; $107ish is the low side of the box.
$BBY – Bracket 99.50 and 95.30. Price inside the box. $5 gap below to fill. Alarm your levels
$SYNA – Still in bracket/ Earnings Aug 5 Bracket trade set up . alarm $81 and $77. Time is short before ER. May have to wait until after earnings to enter
$WMT – continues to consolidate above the breakout level. stay long
$WKHS – Set an alarm at $13 support.
$XRT – Holding the breakout. Long against $45.50
$INTC – Price broke below the bracket. I have initiated a position in the Sept 47.50 Puts with a relatively tight stop at 49.50. Right or right out.
Index Chart Review
SPY 30 min
QQQ 30 min
As the host of Trader’s Profit Compass, I work hard to inspire, empower, and prepare aspiring traders to face the markets with fortitude, quiet confidence and inner calm. It’s a protein-rich, sugar free environment without ego or judgement. While I can’t promise that joining our group will change your life, I’d like to think it will help your trading. Give it a spin! Nothing to lose and potentially much to gain.
Our group of aspiring traders are into active swing trading using technical analysis to find objective, high-probability, low-risk trades. Using these processes we’ve been fortunate to be winning; not perfect but winning. If that is appealing to you, join us! I’d like to think you’d benefit from the work. You’ll get premium content 6 times a week including a copy of my Daily Profit Compass, Weekend Profit Navigator,along with other actionable content delivered directly to your mailbox. You’ll even get an invite to our new trading room on SLACK.
Registration is simple and FREE Visit our homepage HERE