Tickers discussed: SPY QQQ IWM FAAMG Update BABA JD KWEB MLCO GDX GLD Open position update Strategy & Tactics
The Daily Profit Compass provides the stock market analysis for the day. Key levels and trading locations for the indexes are provided, along with trading plans and timely commentary to keep you on the right side of the trade.
The 23 min video covers a technical review of the indexes, FAAMG, several trade ideas, Gold and Gold miners.
- Trump said to be considering a cut in capital gains tax.
- Dimon, Bezos pledge to hire 100,000 New Yorkers
- $CRM unloads stakes in $ZM and $DBX for a tidy profit.
- Before a Covid vaccine has even been developed or proven safe and effective, they’re telling us most Americans won’t be able to get it until Mid 2021.
- With the city streets in turmoil, Seattle’s female, African – American Police Chief quits after the city council slashes funding for the police.
- Internet searches for “Covid / Corona” hitting the lows
Gold Sentiment at the Highs
Disc. – I am short GLD
As $USD positioning remains a crowded short
Disc. – I am long $USD
Bond Yield / Equity Jaws wide open
Value – Real Deal or just another Trap?
I’ve been skeptical of the value trade the last 2-3 times we’ve had 1 week pops that end up being faded. Maybe for that reason I did not pile in yesterday. If it’s real we have plenty of time to find objective entries. Industrials did really well yesterday. One name I am sick about is FDX. I exited just before the moonshot. They say no one ever went broke taking profit, but I disagree. You need the moonshots to erase mistakes and I have seller’s remorse. Nothing to do but find the next one. Anyhow, the challenge is finding the good set ups. Several are pointed out in the video. More coming your way soon.
Strategy & Tactics –
QQQ is soggy. As great as the value trade might be, if FAAMG rolls over or stalls, the sheer market cap will make it tough for SPY to simply run away. IWM has the tailwinds if Value goes on a run.
The new levels become key reference levels for us going forward.
- FAAMG – Continue to Watch closely for bullish or bearish price action following earnings.
- Markets seem poised for a FOMO run. Watch for QQQ breakout to ATH and SPY breakout above $329 to spark another rally. Check…..we got this yesterday
- Massive GDP contraction and bump in initial jobless claims met with a collective sigh by markets. No effect.
- Caution on GOLD / SILVER appears to have been wrong as FOMO rages. Tough to set in long here. It’s like buying JMIA at $22 yesterday. When ever this collapse / pulls back, it will be fast. Be sure you are rolling and protecting your profits.
- Staying bullish does not mean complacent
- Stay vigilant! Ratchet stops / Strikes higher on your winners and keep exposure at manageable levels.
- Dont be afraid to go short if you get a price signal; especially if you’re holding a bunch of longs. You’ll like that balance on red days.
- Mark clear levels on your holdings for exits; honor those levels on a pull back.
- You know they can pull the rug at any time for no reason at all.
- Stay Fluid and flexible in both positions and thinking; Dont lock in on Narratives.
- Expecting a hi-vol summer with Covid and political headlines whipsawing markets
FAAMG Live Annotated Charts
Click on the Links to view my annotated live charts
Updated August 10
Bonds reach a key trade location
Price has reconnected with the low side of it’s rising channel. If it holds the expectation is for a return to the 171.50 area at a minimum. A break below the channel and $167.50 is first support. More importantly, if the channel breaks it could be the start of a deeper pull back. Below 167.50 lies 165 as next support.
Checking in on Chinese Internet
Flashing a potential double top look with bearish divergences on the 2nd peak. A break below 245 sends it to support at 230 where I think it will be met with dipsters. $230 is a very objective BUY location as it is the original break out level.
Internet retailer JD is consolidating in a $7 – $8 Range. What grabs my attention is the massive volume / price void between $58 – $45. Any break below the box may move fast. Almost no support between $58 and the 200ema at $48. If the stock were to break out, the measured move target is around $72.
KWEB is an ETF with a basket of Chinese internet stocks. Looks like another potential double top. To my eye, a break of the 50ema sends it to the 200ema for a test. Price is in no man’s land right now. Alarm the edges of the box at $71.50 and $63.50 for an actionable trade location.
Chart looks constructive as the Casino operator makes a push back up into the pre-covid value range. I see T1 up around $22-$22.50 and T2 at the high end of the range at 24.75. I think you can be long against $18.75
Active Trade set ups / Positions
Bold Text signals meaningful technical changes and / or potential change in an active position.
$GLD Bot GLD Aug 14 $190 P Aug 7
$UUP – Initiated Sept UUP Sept 25.50 calls Aug 3 looks like a fail. Will post if i exit
JMIA – Earnings Aug 12. Will pick up ball after that.
$DLTR – New Name. Alarm $100 for a potential gap fill $12 higher.
$COST: Closed for a nice win on Friday at $340 …. Monster break out. We are long against $322.50. Measured move target is $357. Stay long. Manage risk.
$GDX – PM complex near peak FOMO and parabolic charts are due for a pause. Keep rolling and protecting your positions.
$NFLX – Price flirting with the $25 OH gap at 405. 405 is an important pivot. Trade as you like. Ops on both sides.
$DDS – Did you pick some up? Up 20-25% in just a few days. Like it long against 22.50; but short against $22.50 on a break below.
$OLLI – Watch for downside bracket break or potential long. Active Bracket trade set up. Alarm $110 for potential breakout to fresh ATH’s;
$BBY – BRacket Buy Trigger yesterday. Active Bracket 99.50 and 95.30.
$SYNA – Active bracket but earnings Aug 5 Bracket trade set up . alarm $81 and $77. Waiting till after earnings to enter
$WKHS – Vol compression now. Could break either way. Set an alarm at $13 support.
$XRT – We got long against $45.50; with the stock near 50 we Rolled up from August 45 Calls to Sept 50 calls and raised stop to 48; staying long
$INTC – Not working. Any daily close above $49.50 and we are out. We’re in the Sept 47.50 Puts
Index Chart Review
SPY 2 hour
Price within a narrow rising wedge. A move above $336 is a place to reset. Move up stops and strikes as price advances.
SPY 30 min
QQQ 4 Hour
Price squarely in it’s uptrend channel. Low $280’s possible if price reaches the top of the channel
QQQ 30 min
IWM 4 hour
If price can punch through $160 it opens up a path to $167.50. If price does break above $160, its a great place to re-calibrate and move up stops and strikes.
As the host of Trader’s Profit Compass, I work hard to inspire, empower, and prepare aspiring traders to face the markets with fortitude, quiet confidence and inner calm. It’s a protein-rich, sugar free environment without ego or judgement. While I can’t promise that joining our group will change your life, I’d like to think it will help your trading. Give it a spin! Nothing to lose and potentially much to gain.
Our group of aspiring traders are into active swing trading using technical analysis to find objective, high-probability, low-risk trades. Using these processes we’ve been fortunate to be winning; not perfect but winning. If that is appealing to you, join us! I’d like to think you’d benefit from the work. You’ll get premium content 6 times a week including a copy of my Daily Profit Compass, Weekend Profit Navigator,along with other actionable content delivered directly to your mailbox. You’ll even get an invite to our new trading room on SLACK.
Registration is simple and FREE Visit our homepage HERE