Tickers discussed: SPY QQQ IWM FB AAPL TSLA MSFT AMZN GOOGL NFLX $TNX TLT PINS JETS SNAP UPS
Before the Bell is premarket prep for active traders. The note provides detailed stock market technical analysis focused on the indexes and FAAMGs. Key levels and trading locations are provided, along with trading plans and timely commentary to keep you on the right side of the trade.
The video is a detailed technical review of the indexes and FATMAAN names. All the key trading levels are identified along with commentary and trade plans for each ticker. Trade ideas are also discussed. Run the video at 1.25x to reduce run time.
Find the Video HERE
Macro Data Releases Week of Aug 9
- Monday – JOLTs, Bostic / Barkin FOMC speakers
- Tuesday – NFIB Optimism Index, Productivity & Costs, FOMC Evans
- Wednesday – CPI, Atlanta FED inflation expectations, Oil inventories at 10.30, 10 year bond auction, FOMC Evans
- Thursday – PPI, Jobless Claims, NatGas inventories, 30yr bond auction,
- Friday – UM Consumer Sentiment, Import / Export Prices.
The market is in the summer doldrums with many traders on vacation and the remaining ones dont seem to have much of a risk appetite. The parade of FOMC speakers over the past 10 days have had a more hawkish tone so that hasn’t helped either. Stay patient here and resist the urge to over trade because you are bored. Find other productive things to do. Work on your charts, review your journals, do a load of laundry. Nothing bearish has happened so no need to change our positioning.
Bond Interest Rate Watch
Bond yields were able to break above technical resistance at 1.30 % to close at $1.317%. The next upside targets would be 1.4% and then $1.45 %. We may also see a reaction at 1.375% as that is where the lower trend line from the previous channel will intersect price.
A rising rate environment, if it holds, should be a difficult headwind for bubble / high-valuation names. Stay focused on the sector rotation themes we’ve been discussing. The key is getting it right, not being first. There have been a bunch of head fakes.
10 year Bond Yield
Price drifted lower during Monday’s trading and thus the sell signal generated from the trend line break is still in effect. That said, the convergence of the 50 & 200ema are just below and could provide support. This sell signal has me leaning toward a rotation into cyclicals, value, trade.
Graphics via Market Ear
Fear / Greed Sentiment Indicator
Folks remain bearish but the meter is slowly moving higher. IMO it will be out of character for the market to sell off with this many people already scared. Rug pulls usually are orchestrated to hurt the most people by happening when everyone is bullish and cant see it coming.
Signs of a Shift to Cyclicals
Rising Rate Environment Areas of Interest.
- Falling Dollar is supportive of Commodities and cyclicals in general.
- Rising Rates ( $TNX ) and / or a break of TLT $148
- Cyclically focuses ETF’s to watch.: XLB, XLE, XLF, XLI, KRE, IWM
- Set alarms on the above EFTs for further confirmation of the move.
- Traders can then drill down in specific sectors for invididual names if desired
- Materials. Commodity and Specialty Chemicals
- Metals and Mining. Copper, Aluminum, Steel, XME
- Industrials. HON / MMM / GE Infrastructure names
- JETS / Airlines, Delivery services , marine transport, etc
- KRE; Regional Banks…………more highly levered to rates than mega banks
- Travels, Hotels, Cruise Lines re-opening names.
A detailed walk-through of the levels and trading strategy for the indexes is given in the video ( link above) . The static charts are provided for reference. The FATMAAN names are also reviewed in the video along with trade ideas and other charts of interest.
SPY 2 Hour
IWM 30 min
Get inspired, empowered and prepared.
As the host of Trader’s Profit Compass, I work hard to inspire, empower, and prepare aspiring traders to face the markets with fortitude, quiet confidence and inner calm. It’s a protein-rich, sugar free environment without ego or judgement. While I can’t promise that joining our group will change your life, I’d like to think it will help your trading. Give it a spin! Nothing to lose and potentially much to gain.
Our group of aspiring traders are into active swing trading using technical analysis to find objective, high-probability, low-risk trades. Using these processes we’ve been fortunate to be winning; not perfect but winning. If that is appealing to you, join us! I’d like to think you’d benefit from the work. You’ll get premium content 6 times a week including a copy of my Daily Profit Compass, Weekend Profit Navigator, along with other actionable content delivered directly to your mailbox. You’ll even get an invite to our new trading room on SLACK.
Registration is simple and FREE Visit our homepage HERE